Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
I want to start by saying thank you to everyone who has participated in the Patrick Downey 5K in the past. I am thrilled to have gotten your support over the past four years. After a lot of consideration I've decided that I will not be organizing the race moving forward.
As any race director will tell you, organizing a race is a difficult endeavor. There are a lot of moving parts and details that need to be attended to. It is hard work to pull together a race that pleases everybody: runners, volunteers, spectators and sponsors. While it was hard to manage all of that it was even more difficult from an emotional standpoint for me. The race has gotten more difficult and I feel as though it has come to a natural end.
But I just want you all to know what we were able to accomplish. In four years, I have donated over $31,000 to the Esophageal Cancer Awareness Association. That is an unbelievable number. And to help you to understand exactly how valuable this is, consider this. I gave $11,000 to ECAA this year alone. In December of 2014, ECAA made a donation to the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center of $16,000 that helped to finalize a study specifically about esophageal cancer. The donation from the Fourth Annual Patrick Downey 5K was a big portion of that and allowed the researchers to finish important work regarding esophageal cancer. And that is what this is all about.
I will continue to support ECAA through the Patrick Downey Foundation. I will continue to help raise awareness about this disease. And I will continue to keep Patrick's memory alive. And when all of you see a pair of red Chucks on someone (maybe yourself) I am confident that you will think of Patrick. I know that I always do.
2) Chucks will only be distributed on the morning of the PD5K at the AOH Hall.
3) The “Chuck Check In” table will open at 7:00 am.
4) You must have your bib number before going to the “Chuck Check In” table. If you haven't picked up your bag prior to race day, you must pick it up prior to going to the "Chuck Check In" table.
5) At the “Chuck Check In” table: Tell the volunteer what size Chucks you’d like and you’ll be given a slip of paper with the size printed on it. You can then proceed to the Converse table and exchange your size slip for a pair of Chucks. No exchanges!
6) Once the slips are gone, so are the Chucks! Feel free to trade with a friend but it is first-come, first-served!
Thank you in advance for your patience while picking up Chucks!